Friday, March 02, 2007

Reports of My Demise Grossly Exaggerated

I cannot believe that it has been nearly a month since my last post. I have never had a month like this one. It's been one of those periods where you struggle just to keep your head out of the water.

Here is a little of what has been going on:
  • Mrs. GeekCyclist started working as a nurse at a local children's hospital. Her position is in the Neuro Trauma Unit, one of the hardest areas in the hospital. So we have been trying to adjust to changing schedules, changing pressures, and associated craziness.
  • February is National Scout Month, and as an active BSA leader at a couple of levels I have been involved in a number of meetings and dinners. Also, our troop did it's first of 8 planned 10 mile hikes.
  • We have entered a major push on a large project at work. There are probably 15 programmers working on this project and there are a number of complications as we try to upgrade a legacy database and data entry system while building a desktop and web interface in parallel.
  • Youth basketball season was in full swing. I coach and referee for a local league, as well as having two boys that are on three teams. Thats a lot of running around.
Maintaining Sanity
Working on my health and fitness has been one of the best ways to maintain my sanity through this month. I managed to get in at least 3 spinning workouts a week throughout the month. I also started doing a little light weight training as well. My free membership at the recreation center (a perk for being a referee) ends on the 19th of March, but I will either buy a membership or a punch pass. The punch pass is a good deal because its 30 visits for $45. I don't think I would ever use the gym enough to make the monthly membership more cost effective than the punch pass.

I have been fairly consistent in controlling my diet and weight as well. Obviously the daily value is up and down, but the log smoothed trend (can you tell I deserve the 'geek' part of the geekcyclist label?) has been very stable at around 1.4 -1.6 lbs a week. I think that 1.5 lbs per week is a perfect rate of weight loss for me.

Getting Compliments
A nice thing happened on Monday. Two different friends at work mentioned that I looked good and must have lost some weight. Is really only been 20 lbs since around Thanksgiving. But 20 lbs. is making a difference in the way my clothes fit and the way I feel.

I can't wait to experience life at my goal weight in the 190's.

Giving Compliments
Props to NeilK for hitting a major milestone that I am pushing towards. After starting heavier than me last September, he left the ranks of cycling's Clydesdale division when his weight broke through to under 200 this week. My loyal readers (all three of you) will recognize NeilK from past posts as a frequent ride partner, coworker, and an inspirational friend.

It looks like he is changing his blog right now, but I hope he posts about his success soon.

4 comments:

neil said...

Great to hear an update. Even though we speak either face to face, or via our beloved Novell IM, its nice to read your writing. And thanks for the link! I hope my server can withstand all of the traffic!

Speaking of motivation, you're motivating me right back.If I can lose 50 lbs(Trimspa Baby!), I can muster up a few words on my meager blog every couple of days.

neil said...

ugh i meant speak every day!

GeekCyclist said...

Thanks - It's just too bad I had to take a day off of work to find the time to write a post.

The Historian said...

Friend Geekcyclist, it's good to have you back blogging. Thanks for the good news about another "Neil on Wheels."